Friday, May 6, 2011

PRODUCT DISCOVERY #1: ALMOND MILK


Milk. It does a body good...or does it? I can't be sure, but I've done quite a bit of reading - and while I still feel like I've only skimmed (pun intended) the surface of the info out there, I've come to a decision. No milk for me. I still eat cheese and yogurt (especially the frozen variety - haha) and a few other dairy products - but for the most part, I've MOOved on to new beverage ventures and left milk in the dust.

I can't say my decision was made on scientific research or figures or facts, but I've got plain old personal experience to back me up. When I drink milk I get bloated and gassy. When I don't drink milk...well...I don't! haha That's all the info I need.

At first it was a bit of an adjustment...ok, a big adjustment. I grew up practically drinking milk by the gallon-full. So what's a girl to do now when she eats her cookies? Water just won't cut it. And naked cereal? No way - not for me.

So I first tried Light Vanilla Soy Milk. Not bad. A different taste for sure, but one I could probably get used to. But what I couldn't get used to? The nagging thought that I was harming my baby from drinking it. I found all these places online saying that its best to stay away from soy during pregnancy. Now whether there's any truth to those claims or not...the onset of motherhood worry has me steering clear of soy.

Ok - so no soy. What do I do now?! My cookies are getting worried here!

Almond milk. The perfect solution. I bought a carton of Vanilla Almond Milk and brought it home eager to taste. Gulp. Delicious! So sweet, it must be the nector of the nut gods. So here I was in this glorious relationship with my Vanilla Almond milk - until I took a closer look at the nutrition facts. Loaded...and I mean LOADED with added sugar. I knew it was too good to be true. Dang! So I headed back to the store in hopes of finding still a better beverage.

Just when I almost lost hope - I FOUND IT! Unsweetened Almond Milk from Whole Foods. It's the same price as all the other "milks" I was buying and it has less than 1 gram of sugar. It has very little flavor - just a distant nutty undertone. Its creamier than water - but not so overpowering that you feel like your downing liquified dessert gulp after gulp. And with 40 calories per 8oz serving...I am one happy cows milk free camper.

So if anyone is looking for a milk alternative - allow me to suggest unsweetened almond milk. I've found my milky match...now its on to continue the nutritional make-over of the rest of my diet.

Bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. I read a book that said all animal protein (including dairy products) should be less than 10% of your diet. We used to go through 2 gallons of milk a week, now we're down to 1/2 gallon each week. We RARELY use sour cream and yogurt to make room for the butter and meat. :) I should try almond milk, it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete