Friday, May 6, 2011

CULINARY COMMENT #1: FAT GIRLS ROCK!

We all know that fat bottom girls make this rockin world go round. Butt (hehe) what happens when the fats we eat make our bodies "go round" (if you know what I mean). lol I've done my homework on most of the fats out there...and boy does it get complicated. But I think I've broken it down into an easy to follow formula for my family.

So for my own organization and for the viewing pleasure of anyone who reads this blog - I figured I'd outline my personal fat preferences here. I've become a fat enthusiast as of late, because I know which fats to root for and which ones to boot. I love talking about fats (yeah, I'm weird like that) so if you have any insights or if you just want to chew the fat for a while - I'm your girl!

FATS I EAT - GUILT FREE IN MODERATION:
(starting with the highest nutritional value)


1. Fish Oil Capsules. Why? Because I don't much care for fish, and because I can't afford to buy the Whole Foods mercury-free variety. Thus I opt for a supplement to get those all important Omega 3s. I take 1-2 capsules daily of X-Tend Life Fish Oil (A GREAT product from a GREAT company. For more info about their supplements you can see their website here) They are based in New Zealand and their products are of very high quality. Their oil is doubly purified and has a higher DHA than EPA count. Just what I was looking for in my Omega 3. Pricier than I would have liked - but the more I study nutrition, the more I learn that quality matters. We are what we eat! And we are what we eat eats! (get it?)

2. Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or as the health nuts out there know it...EVOO)

3. Avocados

4. Nuts (especially walnuts)

5. Flaxseeds

6. Canola Oil

7. Omega 6's (usually the oils you find in healthy crackers and breads and such)
•corn oil
•safflower oil
•soybean oil
•sunflower oil
•cottonseed oil

***NOTE: Omega 3s and Omega 6s are both essential fats. We must get them from our diets because our bodies can't produce them on their own. The problem in the current and typical American diet is that we eat WAY too many Omega 6s and hardly any Omega 3s. To function optimally, our bodies need a balance of these two essential fats. Which means most of us would do well to lower the amount of Omega 6 in our diet and simultaneously increase our Omega 3 intake. That's what I'm striving to do little by little. It takes some change and planning - but I'm working on it.

FATS I WOULD DO WELL TO ELIMIATE BUT CAN'T HELP BUT ONLY HAVE IN MODERATION:

1. Saturated Fats (ie: Animal Fat and the Fats found within products that come from animals like butter and sour cream and cheese)

FATS I STRIVE TO COMPLETELY AVOID:

1. Trans Fats (ie: anything that has Hydrogenated or Partially Hydrogenated in the ingredient list) Our bodies can't metabolize these fats properly and thus they have no benefit for us. They cause inflammation and major health problems when consumed, especially in excess.

No comments:

Post a Comment