Friday, July 8, 2011

HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN

I'm a girl who thinks recipes are more like "suggestions" rather than hard and fast rules. Call me adventurous (or call me crazy) but this little chicken dish I improvised had us mmmm-ing and ahhhhh-ing at the dinner table in true "What About Bob" Fashion. It's an adaptation from a recipe I got from my lovely sister Wendy.

INGREDIENTS
CHICKEN BREASTS: Thawed (or fresh) and cut into whatever size pieces you're little heart desires. Note - the smaller the pieces the quicker the cooking time. Behold the convenience. For reference - I used one breast and it fed both John and I...but no left overs. Sad day!
CHOPPED ONION: again - however many you like! I used one medium onion for our one chicken breast. And I also chopped mine into pretty large peices. My husband likes him some onions!
ANY OTHER VEGGIES YOU WANT (I chose frozen yellow squash cut into pieces)
SEASON SALT
FRESH GROUND PEPPER

SAUCE INGREDIENTS
(And this is all to taste here people - so adjust accordingly). I'll give you the measurements I used for one breast/one onion and if you're making more - just add more of each. Naturally you'll need more sauce the more chicken you're making. Mmmmm...saucy!

1/3 of a stick BUTTER melted in the microwave in a glass measuring cup.
Then add...
1/4 c. HONEY
1/8 c. DIJON MUSTARD
1/8 c. REGULAR MUSTARD
Now taste! Adjust butter, honey and mustard accordingly. You can't go wrong :)


DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place your chicken chunks and onion in a pyrex or corningware (or you know, whatever the heck pan you have).
3. Salt and Pepper generously.
4. Pour prepared sauce over chicken and onions and stir until well coated.
5. Pop in the oven and cook until the onions are translucent and the chicken is done.


Served over brown rice with veggies on the side, this dish is delish!

(I put the rice in my rice cooker before I start the chicken and it usually ends up done at about the right time. Love the convenience).

No comments:

Post a Comment